On the 19th of January 2019, families and friends will be gathering in the kitchen to prepare and enjoy one of the nation’s favourite sweet treats. Popcorn is the staple of any movie or TV marathon and, whilst sweet or salted popcorn flavours are the go-to for many people, we think you should experiment on National Popcorn day with some more inventive sweet and savory flavours.
Read on to find out our alternative popcorn recipe suggestions, and find the perfect sofa to enjoy your snacks on as you enjoy some TV or a movie with family and friends.
National Popcorn Day
The origins of National Popcorn day are unknown – it isn’t classed as an official holiday, it’s just a fun day where you can indulge yourself and treat the family to some sweet snacks. Maize (where popcorn kernels come from) has been farmed for over 10,000 years, and there’s even evidence of popcorn being made in Mexico over 5,000 years ago!
It’s fast become one of the most popular snacks in the world, and it can also be a really healthy alternative (depending on the toppings used) to crisps, sweets or chocolate; popcorn is whole grain and naturally low in fat, salt and sugars.
National Popcorn day isn’t just about eating either – many people use this day as an opportunity to enjoy some crafting activities with the kids, like fun popcorn collage designs, or garlands that can be hung inside for decoration, or outside as bird feed.
You’ll find hundreds of different popcorn recipes online that you can easily make at home, but we wanted to pick out a small selection of sweet and savoury flavours that you can make with the family. If you have small children, it might be better to sit them on the sofa to watch some TV whilst the hot pans make the popcorn in the kitchen, or keep them at a safe distance if they want to enjoy the exciting sights and sounds.
We recommend you pop the corn first before flavouring, and it’s really simple to do. Heat 3 tablespoons of an oil of your choice in a deep pan along with 2 or 3 kernels. After they begin to pop you know the oil is hot enough – then add ⅓ of a cup of kernels and watch the popcorn fly!
Chocolate Coated Popcorn
A simple idea, and one favoured by many cocoa lovers, coating your popcorn in chocolate can give you the best of both worlds – the crunchy texture of the popcorn and the sweet, smooth taste of chocolate:
- Melt a medium/ large sized bar of chocolate (milk, white or dark) in a saucepan with a knob of butter, or alternatively steam melt the chocolate in a bowl above hot water in a pan.
- Allow the chocolate to cool slightly, then pour over the popcorn in a big mixing bowl and toss/ stir until it’s fully covered. It’s up to you if you want to let the chocolate cool further and solidify, or if you prefer a gooey treat as you enjoy a movie with the family.
A nice alternative to this can be created by melting the chocolate and pouring most of it it onto greaseproof paper in a baking tray. As it starts to cool, place the popcorn over the chocolate and tip the rest of the chocolate on top, creating a “rocky road” style chocolate popcorn bark.
Italian Cheese Popcorn
A delicious, savoury recipe, why not introduce the tastes and smells of Italy into your home with this tasty recipe?
- Take 6 tablespoons of your favourite type of grated cheese (it doesn’t have to be Italian), and mix with 2¼ teaspoons of Italian seasoning and a ¾ teaspoon of garlic salt.
- Melt ⅓ cup of butter and drizzle over your pan of popped popcorn. Spread the cheese mix over your popcorn in a large mixing bowl and then toss/mix together until evenly spread.
It’s best to mix the popcorn when it’s hot so the cheese starts to melt as it combines with the popcorn.
Sticky Toffee Popcorn
Enjoy this chewy, indulgent treat with the whole family – there’s sure to be some teeth stuck together after trying this recipe out:
- Combine 4 tablespoons of golden syrup, 30 grams of butter, 40 grams of brown sugar and a teaspoon of water and melt them in a pan.
- Once the mixture has begun to caramelise and turn dark and sticky, pour it over your popcorn and toss evenly until completely covered.
If you really do have a sweet tooth, why not add some small chunks of chopped fudge or even M&Ms into the mix as you toss the popcorn, for an extra cheeky treat?
Bombay Mix Popcorn
For those who enjoy a little bit of spice in their life, this Bombay mix popcorn recipe is perfect for exciting the taste buds.
- Take 50 grams of melted butter and mix in 2 teaspoons of garam masala, 1 teaspoon of curry powder and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Tip in a mixture of preferred nuts, like peanuts or cashews (these can be baked if you wish) with the popcorn and then pour in the spicy butter mix you made earlier.
- Toss until the popcorn is evenly covered and enjoy.
If you love eating shop-bought bombay mix, you could use this instead of your own nuts and simply mix in with the popcorn when you add the spicy melted butter.
Sweet and Spicy popcorn
If you enjoy the taste of both savoury and sweet flavours, then this delicious mix of both is sure to work for you.
- Take your popcorn and sprinkle a ¼ teaspoon of chilli powder and ½ a teaspoon of cinnamon over the top.
- Mix together and then add 1 tablespoon of agave syrup or golden syrup and toss until the popcorn is evenly covered.
You could adapt this recipe to add spices like paprika or cajun, it’s all down to your taste preference.
Sit back, relax and enjoy
Now the popcorn is made, you can sit down on the sofa with the family and enjoy an action packed blockbuster. You’re going to want to be comfy, so why not choose a sofa like the Emperor that has plenty of seat space for the whole family to curl up on, as well as deep seats filled with an extra thick combination of foam and fibre. A favourite of both a cinema room or the living room, it’s perfect for those TV marathons or blockbuster movies.
The Linara sofa is also a good option. It has a wide design with cosy seats and backs, as well as large arm pad cushions that are perfect for leaning into whilst relaxing in front of the TV. If you enjoy lying back as you watch the TV and eat your popcorn, the Marmont is the perfect choice for you. Available as a power recliner, you’ll be able to find the perfect viewing (and eating) angle as you enjoy National Popcorn day.
You can explore over 200 exclusive sofology ranges and find the perfect sofa for you at sofology.co.uk.